Friday, November 2, 2007

GSE Team Member Andrew Casey


My name is Andrew Casey and I am 27 years old. I was born and raised in the city of Goulburn, NSW. I graduated from Northern Territory University, Darwin, in 2002 with a Bachelor of Teaching in Primary Education (5-12 years). I am currently completing a Bachelor of Teaching and Learning in Special Education through Charles Darwin University, Darwin.

I am employed by the NSW Department of Education as a primary teacher at Goulburn Public School, Goulburn. I have been teaching for 5 years and have taught in several rural and isolated communities across NSW. I especially enjoyed my teaching at central schools (K-12). I am very interested in inclusive education practices within diverse classrooms and catering for students with special needs.

I have an older brother and sister as well as a twin sister. I have 9 nieces and nephews that I love dearly and 2 more on the way in March/April. My mother is a Head Teacher of Human Services for TAFE NSW and my father owns and operates a taxi cab in Goulburn. I love spending time with family and am very fortunate to have all my family live in Goulburn or close by.

Additionally, I work part time at Trinity Catholic College, a coeducational secondary boarding school in Goulburn. I supervise/care for students (12-18 years) after school and on weekends in an academic and pastoral care capacity. I have been working in this field for 6 ½ years and am fortunate to enjoy and share the lives of students from a different perspective. I began at St Johns College, Darwin caring mainly for indigenous students from remote communities throughout Western Australia, Northern Territory and Queensland. This was a valuable experience and a fantastic opportunity to learn more about the culture of our indigenous people.

In terms of hobbies and interests, I enjoy renovating property, hiking, rugby union, cricket and spending time with friends as much as I can. I follow the Canberra Raiders (rugby league) and the ACT Brumbies (union) who are both considered local teams as I am approximately 50 minutes from Canberra.

No comments: